Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A volunteer's reflection: No prejudice

by Lukas Meier
Individual Volunteer from Switzerland

When I came to Cambodia, I made ​up my mind to look at things without prejudice. As simple as the idea sounds, it has proved difficult to implement.

I first discovered this while I was staying with a Cambodian farming family in Takeo Province in the southern part of the country.

On a walk through the village, my host family showed me some local innovations.

First, we visited a small mushroom farm. I was surprised by its simplicity and functionality. At the farm, wet straw is burned and used as substrate, and simple straw bundles are used for weather protection.

In Switzerland, I was told: "Mushrooms are very demanding. It takes about large investments.” But in Cambodia I learned they simply use the leftovers of the rice harvest to create their mushroom farms — impressive!

On the way to the second farm, we ran through a dense forest. It was musty and dirty. Along the trail there were some very simple houses. My Swiss mentality was startled by the picture I saw — undisguised poverty, dirty and unsanitary. So much for keeping an open mind, as I had promised myself.

We came out of the woods and walked between some fish ponds for a fish farm. We welcomed two young men who showed us the farm. Numerous pools and ponds are supplied with water by means of a pump. The whole construction is very simple but just as functional. Some fish are sold to other farmers and others are raised entirely on-site then sold at market.

Back at our farm, I tried to collect my thoughts. I was fascinated by how the people I met could do such great things with such simple ideas and small budgets, made ​possible by the willingness to learn and to follow an idea through to success.

I also see once again that my prejudices hinder me from seeing the entire picture. And I try one more time to get used to my prejudices.

Lukas is volunteering in Cambodia with the CHAD program for 6 months. When he returns to Switzerland he will enroll in university where he plans to continue his agricultural studies.

Keine Vorurteile

Als ich nach Kambodscha kam, nahm ich mir vor, die Dinge ohne Vorurteile zu betrachten.
So einfach der Gedanke auch klingt, so schwer ist er umzusetzen.

Auf einem Spaziergang durch das Dorf zeigte mir meine Gastfamilie die lokalen Innovationen.

Zuerst besuchten wir eine kleine Pilzfarm.Ich war von der Einfachheit und der Funktionalität überrascht. Nasses Stroh wird verbrannt und dient als Substrat, einfache Strohbündel dienen als Wetterschutz.

In der Schweiz wurde mir gesagt:”Pilze sind sehr anspruchsvoll, es braucht darum grosse Investitionen.” In Kambodscha wird aus den Resten der Reisernte eine Pilzfarm – beeindruckend!

Auf dem Weg zur zweiten Farm gingen wir durch einen dichten Wald, es war muffig und schmutzig.

Entlang dem Pfad standen einige sehr einfache Häuser. Mein ordentlicher Schweizercharakter störte sich augenblicklich an diesem Bild – so viel zum Thema “Vorurteile”.

Wir traten aus dem Wald heraus und gingen zwischen einigen Fischtümpeln zur einer Fischfarm. Uns empfingen zwei junge Männer. Sie zeigten uns die Farm. Mittels einer Pumpe werden die zahlreichen Becken und Weiher mit Wasser versorgt. Die ganze Konstruktion ist sehr einfach gehalten, aber völlig funktional. Die Fische werden zum einen an andere Farmer verkauft und zum anderen selbst aufgezogen und verkauft.

Wieder zurück auf unserer Farm, versuche ich meine Gedanken zu ordnen. Es ist faszinierend, mit wie einfachen Ideen und wenig Mitteln grossartige Projekte möglich warden. Ermöglicht werden sie durch die Bereitschaft zu lernen und den Willen, eine Idee bis zum Erfolg zu bringen.

Ich erkenne wieder, dass meine Vorurteile mir nur im Weg stehen. Und ich versuche ein weiteres Mal, mir meine Vorurteile abzugewöhnen.

No comments:

Post a Comment